Custom ACF field in Taxonomy Terms block within a Query block not displaying on front end

Description:

We are using a Taxonomy Terms block to display an ACF custom field for a Taxonomy within a Query block (a price suffix for the duration of a subscription term).

Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 12.04.31

This displays perfectly in the editor
Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 12.11.14

But on the front-end nothing displays:
Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 12.13.20

If we specify a fallback it is used.

Displaying standard taxonomy fields such as description works perfectly:
Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 12.05.04

The Taxonomy Terms config is standard:
Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 12.05.46

Step-by-step reproduction instructions:

Please write the steps needed to reproduce the bug.

1. Open the Post Editor
  2. Add a Query block with front-end rendering switched on
  3. Add a Taxonomy Terms block within the Query block that displays a custom field from a Custom Taxonomy

Environment info

• WordPress version: 6.2
  • Gutenberg Plugin version: -
  • Cwicly Plugin version: 1.2.9.5.8.3
  • Cwicly Theme version: 1.0.3

@Araminta, thank you for your communication and work with all the recently reported bugs.

This is the final issue that prevents us from releasing this particular site and so this is our priority to solve.

Please let me know if you need any more information to be able to replicate this.

1 Like

I updated the steps to reproduce to include front-end rendering - we haven’t tried without, but thought you should know.

1 Like

Hi @Araminta,

I am just checking on this as I notice it has not been marked confirmed.

Let me know if you need any more information to replicate it as this is really holding us up at the moment.

Thanks!

Hi @StrangeTech,

Terribly sorry for not keeping you updated on this!

I can confirm I have been able to reproduce this and that it is a bug.
We’ll be sure to have this fixed as soon as possible.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

In the meantime, as this seems urgent, could you possibly achieve this with a visibility condition?

@Araminta,

Believe me, I want to! We’d much rather use one of the many other ways that Cwicly allows, unfortunately we seem to be blocked at every turn on this one. Please see here for a full outline of what we have tried:

And as mentioned - this related one:

If you think that these are bugs rather than feature requests, we’ll be happy to change them and see them fixed also.

Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

Both these feature requests are valid and will definitely be addressed in due course.

However, does your price suffix necessarily need to be implemented with a custom taxonomy?

Without a clear understanding of your current setup, it’s difficult for me to determine the best approach.
Perhaps if you could provide additional details, we might hopefully be able to find a workaround.

Thank you for your patience.

@Araminta,

For now, as long as the price suffix changes when we change filters and is easily and clearly editable by our client, we will take any workaround you can provide.

The monthly / yearly toggle is currently a custom taxonomy because that seemed to be the cleanest and most logical approach.

Having a custom field on that made sense because it should change when the taxonomy term changed.

If you have a better way of doing this, we are more than willing to try it.

1 Like

Given the fact that we have multiple filters (e.g. subscription duration and currency), using a standard post category as a taxonomy didn’t occur to us - I suppose we could switch the subscription duration custom taxonomy for a standard post category and then use the Post Category visibility filter for it to display the price suffix. This is not ideal for a number of reasons but as long as Post Category visibility filters work with front-end rendering, then it should technically be viable.

@Araminta, can you confirm whether this is a reasonable workaround or if you have any other better suggestions.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification, @StrangeTech!

Perhaps it might be easier for you to add a filter to your Query, using the shortcode whitelist.
This way all the logic is done in PHP so you can directly access exactly what you need (your custom taxonomy).

If you need any help setting this up, I’ll let @Louis know! :slight_smile:

However, if you feel more comfortable with using a standard post category as a taxonomy, then that might be the best solution.

Please don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any questions on this.

Thank you for the suggestions @Araminta

Our priority is the client editing experience and we are happy to use whatever method yields the optimal result for them.

I can see how the shortcode whitelist can work in this case, in the sense that we can access whatever fields we want via code.

The only downsides to this being the development time required and that we have been aiming to keep custom code as light as possible for ease of maintenance.

Can you please confirm whether as far as Cwicly is concerned, the post category visibility conditions currently work with front-end editing and if so, we may use this as a fast workaround.

If neither this nor any of the three other options will be available within the next week or so, then we will probably take the shortcode route.

Thanks again!

Thank you for considering my suggestion, @StrangeTech

Apologies for not focusing on the client aspect earlier.

To answer your question, I can confirm that on my end, post category visibility conditions work as expected with frontend rendering.
However, if you experience any issues with this, please do not hesitate to reach out to us, and we will fix it as soon as possible.

If you decide to use the shortcode route, be sure to let us know if you need help!

1 Like

Hi @Louis & @Araminta, you may already be fully aware, but just to give a quick update, from our testing this still doesn’t appear to be working yet, with 1.2.9.7.2.

I thought for a moment that this may be fixed when I saw:

But we have tested with 1.2.9.7.3 and can confirm it is still not working yet.

Hello @StrangeTech,

Thank you keeping track of this one.

It is definitely a priority to get custom dynamic data support for nested query items entities and other individual frontend rendering elements, but also implies careful attention the number of requests we would make to the server.
I thank you for your patience and understanding on this one.

Cheers,

@Louis & @Araminta, we have a version of this occurring with an ACF link field added to a taxonomy.

We have created an “Organisers” taxonomy and added a “Website” ACF link field to it.

When we attempt to output this, it just appends “link” to the current url instead of returning the full url from the field.

Hi I think I am experienceing the same issue? Not sure but my issue is i have a cpt called Profiles, where i am trying to add the taxonomy called Services to the Query Template on a search page (not an archive page but a regular page with a query and query template). I am able to use the Taxonomy Terms Block to show the actual Taxonomies, but I want to show the custom image field i have added to the taxonomies instead. So far I have been able to get the image placeholders to show up on the backend and it is even respecting the the taxomies associated with each profile (so there are some profile with 1 or 2 and others with 3 etc…). But no matter what i do i can not get the images to show up on the front end. I have Rest turned on on the ACF Group and in the CY Settings. I have also put a fallback image into image field of the cpt (Gold Heart Icon) and you can see from my image that they are showing up where the real images should be. I have tried various settings for the taxonomy block. Attached images shows my current settings. Any help would be much appreciated!

Hey! Did you ever get the taxonomy items to render on the front end? I have been trying to get somewhere on this. for almost a week now. Just wondering if you found a solution or if i should shift gears. Thanks! I dont write code but i can manipulate it if needed. But i prefer to keep the customization to a minimum.

Hey there! So i have been trying to get a custom field on a tax for a single template CPT to render on the front end for about a week now with no luck. Any chance you all have a quick video or step by step instrucionf for me? Or is this still a bug that needs addressing? It is a pretty straightforward issue. A Single Template Page with a CPT that has a Tax, that tax has a custom image field created with ACF. I have added the Taxonomy Block and tried both custom and current, and while i do get a placeholder image block i can not seem to get it to actually render on the front end. I just see a box where an image should be. Check the Services section, I know it is at least filtering per the CPT because there it is only showing the one that is related to this particular post and the others are also matching up to their posts. Image of back end -

Image of front end -

@ShannaKae,

You have multiple posts in multiple threads all referring to the same issue, I have responded here:

Check it out and let me know how you get on.