Navigator and block generation Issues

Hi @JulianM,

I have experienced what you are referring to and if I understand correctly you are saying you would like to insert a container block multiple times in a row and subsequent inserted blocks would be added within the same parent as the first item.

I can understand why this is desirable in that particular flow and there is something else to take into consideration.

Currently, one useful behaviour of the way blocks are inserted is - when you insert a container block, it automatically selects the inserted block. This allows you to quickly add child blocks to it. I believe this is the correct default behaviour because it makes sense to highlight the active block and in many cases when inserting a container block it is for the purpose of placing items within it, which this behaviour allows.

The change you propose would require when inserting a container, that its parent remains selected, which while it would enable the particular flow you described, it would not allow the one I described.

Perhaps this could be a nice opportunity for a feature request, something like if we shift click on an item in the inserter it adds it to the parent - this would give you the speed of flow while retaining the current default behaviour. Win-win.

This is a tricky one, because in a deeply nested layout, some blocks in the navigator may be indented so far that they are not visible at all.

Currently the two ways we can work with these are to resize the navigator width or horizontally scroll and I don’t see any other way to address that particular case.

Regarding the action buttons that appear on hover, for visible blocks in the navigator, it may be possible to argue the position of the buttons could be fixed to the right of the visible portion of the block it is in, but when the width of the visible portion of the block is shorter than the width of the buttons, this would still need to overflow somehow. Due to these considerations, I personally think it is implemented in the most practical way for the current navigator interface.

You may be interested in these threads: