Text Property Placeholder does not show in component

Description:

Not sure whether this should be technically classified as a bug or feature request.

When a text property has been assigned to a component and that property has been connected to the content of a block, and when no text has been typed for it, it will be great to show the placeholder text in the component as well as in the Component inspector.

Step-by-step reproduction instructions:

1. Open the Post Editor/Site Editor
  2. Create a component (with an instance in the navigator)
  3. Add a text property to it with a placeholder and leave the property value empty for the instance
  4. Add a heading
  5. Connect the text property to the heading’s content
  6. Notice that the placeholder is not used for the heading’s display “A Heading.” is shown instead.

Screenshots, screen recording, code snippet

Environment info

• WordPress version: 6.2.2
  • Cwicly Plugin version: 1.3-beta
3 Likes

Hello @StrangeTech,

Thanks for bringing this up.

This is not a bug as not intended, but I can definitely see the use of this, although a field placeholder might hold a different role compared to a block content placeholder.

Would love to know what others think about this (I already see multiple likes on here).

Moving to feature request.

Cheers,

Understood.

@Louis, Given the fact that a major feature highlight is that you have made component properties as easily editable from the editor canvas as from the properties inspector panel, adding this just makes a lot of sense.

If we want the component itself on the canvas to have the same usability hints as the property panel, then we need to be able to show the placeholder there.

Hi @StrangeTech,

Thank you for sharing this feature request!

With 1.3-beta2, you can now set a Canvas Placeholder, which should allow you to achieve this:

Please don’t hesitate to share any feedback you may have on this!

1 Like

Fantastic addition, thank you so much for adding this.

1 Like

:100:

1 Like

Why don’t components support dynamic text as image properties?

Hello @g97iulio,

As mentioned in another thread, I’d be grateful if we can keep thread contexts clear and relative to their initial subject, which is not the case with your last post.

Components do support dynamic text. Please open a new thread accordingly and I will reply there.