Reopening of Cwicly discourse

Hi there,

I hope you and your team are doing well. Attacks on a personal level, as well as on teams and families, are not tolerable; this is cruel. I have been with Cwicly since day 1, and the support team, including you, has worked relentlessly to fix all my issues. Sometimes, I really wondered how you cope with development and support, Lois; your innovation in WordPress is unforgettable. The announcement of Cwicly plugin’s end has made me very sad for the past 6 days. The ending of Cwicly’s development is not only a loss for Cwicly users but also for the WordPress community. If you want to take the time to rethink and reconsider, it will be highly beneficial to Cwicly users and the WordPress community.

Cheers.

8 Likes

Thank you for reopening the discourse!

Although I would love to see the continuation of development, and support beyond 2024, I understand and respect your decision.

Cwicly is an incredible piece of software, and I admire the vision, sweat, and talent you guys put into building it. You achieved something really unique, and should be proud of what you accomplished, regardless of anything and anyone else.

I wish you peace of mind and good health. Take care.

5 Likes

Thanks for reopening the forum :slight_smile:
I hope you and your team, along with your families, are doing well. Health is utmost priority, and it’s important to emphasize that personal attacks are not tolerable.
People have been discussing cwicly alternative, but none rival its capacity to completely reshape the Gutenberg experience into something far more productive. I want to express my appreciation for all your hard work.
and I remain optimistic that you will overcome challenges and make a successfull comeback.

4 Likes

Hello @Louis ,

Please don’t takes this the wrong way, but why would you encourage anyone to build a new website with Cwicly when you said yourself that support for bug fixes, vulnerabilities, and WP compatibility will be honored till the end of the year? This only leaves 9 months of support for a website that has a typical lifespan of 5 years before it would need a face-lift.

1 Like

Hi @kwsim

You may be interested in:

Fantastic to get an update and the love for Cwicly is much stronger than the hate or silly nitpicking by the influencers. I wish they didn’t win but alas here we are in no mans land. Thanks for the clarification @Louis and hope you are well and all the best for your future plans.

My question is simple. Is there any chance (as in are you open to it at all) you would allow another developer to take over Cwicly development? Or acquire maybe. I guess some of us see this as the very best tool and are having a hard time letting it go. Even with an ongoing maintenance plan I wouldn’t be able to use it as I have planned.

Is there any possible chance active development could restart in the future?

4 Likes

I just want to share my support and respect to Luis & Co. Cwicly was for me a game changer, igniting my interest for FSE & Gutenberg. Sad to see it go.

1 Like

Thank you @Louis for Ciwcly, an excellent product that made many of us dream of finally having a tool in WordPress to build the website we imagined visually. Ciwcly’s life was very short, and I think you have a great product, but you and your team already made their decision, and we have to look for other options.

Thank you again for re-opening the discourse – I missed the community! I will add my voice to the din of people asking to be charged, so that cwicly may stay alive. I really like it, and think it is miles ahead of the alternatives.

4 Likes

Hi Louis,

Thank you for the status report.

We were one the post-Jan subscribers (through my collaborator’s account) who got refunded some days ago. Thank you for that, however, although the plug-in is installed, I get a "License

• Unexpected Error" message, and the blocks in the block editor display an “unable to verify this license” message since a few days ago.

What information would you need from our side in order to be able to solve this?

We have already sent an e-mail through my collaborator’s account (the one used to sign-up), but as it is somewhat of a time sensitive matter, I’d like to make sure the message gets to the team.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but if you requested a refund, you don’t have a valid license any more, do you?

Cheers

Two things:

1. On the same e-mail where we asked about the refund, we asked if the app would still be usable while we build on a new platform, even if we get a refund… We didn’t get an answer.

2. Days later, we got two e-mails. one confirming the refund, one telling of the cancellation of the service, informing that we would be able to use it until the 20th of February of next year.

So basically, before asking for the refund, I asked if the app would still be usable. Haven’t got a single answer on anything, except for automated e-mails.

Hmm not sure, but I think if there is no valid license you cannot edit any of the blocks. In terms of „usable“, depends on how you define that word I guess → the frontend is still „usable“ but you cannot edit anything without a license.

1 Like

i purchased the base plan end of 2023, and upgraded in Feb 2024 to agency. I was refunded, and i had the same error, it took a day or 2 for the licenses to work again (on my original, base plan), assuming because of how licensing is fiddly up/downgrading. i was surprised that i couldn’t edit any of my websites during this time

1 Like

Seems to be the same issue? Hopefully I hear back from the team soon. Thank your for sharing this.

If that’s the case, that’s a problem. Once your license expires, you are no longer entitled for support and updates (and maybe other features such as access to cloud libraries, etc…). But you should definitely be able to continue working (locally on your server/hosting) with the last version of the plugin you had when your license was valid.

Anyway, I don’t see the sense of blocking (local) features of a plugin after a license expires. All WordPress plugins are released under GPLv2 license. So, you can modify your copy of the plugin. (e.g., change the code that validates if your plugin license is valid). That is your right under GPLv2.

yes, that is what happened with me during the downgrade period (again, i am understanding that up/downgrades are tricky and may have unexpected unavailability. So while I did and still do have a valid 3 site license, I couldn’t edit anything build with Cwicly, as it gave the notice of “don’t worry your cwicly blocks are fine - but your license is not valid. Please register a valid license to edit your Cwicly blocks” or something similar. I thought I had a screenshot but cannot see to find it.

how did you solve it? It’s been more than 4 days and haven’t heard from the team (without counting that instead of asking for the refund, I asked if this would happen, to which I also didn’t get an answer, except for two e-mails, one for cancelation –which said I’d still be able to use the plug-in until next year– and a refund receipt)

thanks!

it persisted for a day or 2 and then I wrote support and they resolved it within 1 working day.

They stated: "We’re glad to inform you that we’ve resolved the issue with your license, please make sure to refresh your license data: License - Documentation

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we’re here to assist you further if you encounter any other issues or have any additional questions."

I didnt need to refresh the data on the few sites I had, personally. it appeared green again and I could edit my content

This is useful, I’ll try with the instructions in the link. Thanks again!