Make section and its inner wrapper detachable

Hi!
I have a suggestion about Section Block.

This idea is from Bricks Builder, and I find it very useful.

In Bricks, when I add a section, it comes with a parent and an inner wrapper(we call the wrapper a container in bricks), and both(refer to the screenshot below) show as separated items in the structure panel(navigator in Cwicly).

Here is the structure for the section in Bricks
<--section
<--inner wrapper

And this is Cwicly

<--section
*the inner wrapper is inside it.

Why do I say I like the way Bricks doing? Because the Section element in Bricks is detachable.

Use case:
For better SEO purposes, I wouldn’t use the background-image property for my hero section or other sections that need a background image. I will use an image block and then set the object-fit: cover instead.

With the Bricks section, I can easily add a div as the image wrapper and an image block above the inner container, just like I do below.

In Cwicly, the section block and its inner wrapper are in a single block. So, I can’t do as I do in Bricks. I need to add a div for the main section, change the HTML tag, add another div for the image wrapper for the background image and set all the global width, padding, padding and so on. (this is my current workaround to achieve this).

I can also achieve this in Cwicly, but with a lot of manual styling.

What do you think? :wink:

2 Likes

Hey @jornes, not sure if I understand your question correct.

For what purpose do you need that div as image-wrapper?

If you set the section in cwicly to max-width: 100% and set all Padding to 0, then insert an image and give it a height and width of 100% you have a image stretched all over the section (automatically with a div wrapper since the section-element adds that div automatically).

If you need to target that div (for whatever reason) you could easily do that with the relative-styling feature. So I don’t see any need to detach it to be honest but maybe I’m overseeing something obvious?

Cheers

1 Like

If you find that Cwicly section block is limiting you, then as you mentioned you can use two nested “div” elements and name one as “section” and the other as “container” , add global classes to it if needed and then do whatever you want with these elements to achieve your desired layout. To easily access and use this “custom section” again in the future you can save it to design library. This is what I do if I find Cwicly section block is somehow limiting me - just load “my custom section” from design library when needed.

As @krievinshj said. Something is limiting me with the current section block. Maybe I can try the workaround you suggested to see if it’s what I want, as mentioned. :wink:

Yes. I am doing the way I said now.

Well yes that’s another way of achieving it.

To have full control over the inner div there are two possible solutions in my opinion!

• Relative Styling
  • Create your own “Section”-Element

Curious to know how do you go about it with the relative styling. A short video would be helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:

This has been discussed so many times in the past.
There are several topics about it where opinions can be added.

Status quo:

1 Like

Yeah…finally, Cwicly implemented the section block this way. Awesome!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you very much Cwicly team. :nerd_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you @jornes for sharing this feature request, and thank you to everyone who shared their feedback!

The section’s inner container is now detached in the editor with 1.2.9.8.

Please note that we do continue to support the old section layout for existing installations, and only deprecate it for new installations.

For more information on this change, be sure to read @Louis’ dedicated release note here.

Please don’t hesitate to share any feedback on this!

2 Likes

@Araminta Thanks, Cwicly team, for fulfilling our wishes! :slight_smile: