Allow nesting for all blocks

An option (which should be toggled off by default) to enable the ability to nest any block into each other.

I have already posted a more specific request here, but I got stuck so many times now because I’m not allowed to do this currently.

Here is another great example, which recently got brought up here.
Another related topic, with a slightly different approach.

Now that we have full freedom in terms of block HTML tags, an additional block would be another approach to create more advanced stuff, but the limitation of not being able to nest blocks wouldn’t solve this either.

Hello @Marius,

Thanks for linking to this on the Facebook community.

Definitely something we’ve been considering for the paragraph and heading blocks to start with.

How would you see yourself attaching plain text to a paragraph/heading block that accepted inner blocks?

Cheers,

1 Like

Perhaps something like this?:

If any additional blocks are added, this could be implicitly created for the content.

Hey @Louis.

I’m thrilled to read your plans making this possible :astonished:

This easily covers >90% of all cases already, and would mean a removal of a significant current limitation (at least for advanced use cases or users).
Starting with the most important ones and see how things goes is not a bad idea at all.

I think the main point was to work around the limitation of not being able to nest headings and paragraphs - a way to achieve clean HTML, without being forced to use tags when not needed, all over the place. So, nesting plain text inside a div with e.g. an Hn tag was an approach I could see for myself. But this wasn’t possible either in the past.
A simple example, that of course wouldn’t require the nesting of a heading, but building more complex stuff unfortunately is still impossible as of now.
The only approach is a code block which becomes a mess as soon as dynamic data or styling is required.
But that’s not a real solution either because of the default container classes in the back-end.

The ability of nesting headings/paragraphs wouldn’t solve it entirely, as there are still use cases (and I’m sure there are lots more than I currently have in mind or when I came across this limitation in the building process) for plain text, but it would improve the situation dramatically.
Plain text with rich-text functionality would not only eliminate the last piece of limitation (if text block nesting is possible), it would also be an improvement, like

But that would depend on how and to what extent this block is executed/implemented. But I’m convinced that its simplicity would be its strength. Maybe in this case, less is more.
Not sure what exactly is planned in that regard, but the 1st step should be to address the main “issue”, making text blocks indefinitely nestable.
But I wouldn’t say no to both at once :sunglasses:

Thank you so much for addressing this topic.