What stops you from starting out with Cwicly?

So I just went through my Cwicly creations that I built (with v1.0.9.2.5) around 2-3 months ago, just to test how far Cwicly is and what issues I would face.
It is kind of crazy what happened since then with this tool.

Don’t get me wrong, it was already a great piece of software. But so many things just got easier, more efficient, and lots of new features were introduced on top.

My question to you guys is, in case you didn’t already start to build with Cwicly:

• What is missing for you, what features do you urgently need to finally start building real projects?
  • Are there other reasons than missing features/options that stop you from starting?

Hope we can get a nice discussion here to get a better idea what the user base is thinking about the near future of Cwicly.

Good topic @Marius,

for me it is:

1. Woocommerce integration
  2. LMS Plugins that are not yet fully compatible with Wordpress FSE, therefore, it does not work with Cwicly

Other than that, for regular blogs or brochure sites, it is near perfect.

What about you? Is there anything you are missing in Cwicly?

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Dev.tomi, these are legit reasons which indeed kind of forces you to wait.

Definitely agree with that. It’s almost complete, feature-wise, regarding the core functionality.

Well for me, there aren’t actual points anymore which would force me to stop, wait, or whatever, thanks to the awesome progress of Cwicly.

I am honest, I stopped shortly before v1.1 dropped. Not because a lot of essential things were missing, it was the fact that some things were built in a way, I knew it would take me 4-5x the time it actually needs if things would be addressed for a better experience. So it didn’t make sense anymore for me. Still, it was a great opportunity to master the tool. Now, things have changed essentially.

I think with the introduction of span tags inside the RichText blocks and the extension of the html tags list, there is no real reason anymore keeping myself away from it.

Nevertheless, this is what I am looking forward to, just to have a more complete builder / options panel.

• Sorting/rearrange relative styling items
  • CSS properties, e.g. order, align-self, white-space
  • Ability to set custom values for the transition-timing-function, clip-path property, etc. (just a bit more flexibility in general)
  • Optional measurement units

I have no problem to use custom CSS in edge cases (and I also think it is important not to bloat the options panel with properties which are used by <1%), but I think these points should be a part at some time.

Feature that I really need for a running project:

1. Add ACF nested repeater

Features for the confort of development:

1. Code block for PHP, JS, CSS
  2. More tutos (especially for users no habit to Gutenberg)

Feature that will miss sometime for sure:

1. Woocommerce integration: but no running project (for now)
2 Likes

Good points @Marius

I think Cwicly team will need to strike a balance between functionality and features, so it would not become over bloated. The things you mentioned are kind of a more advanced features (like clip path, etc.) so I believe that the person who would want to use that, already knows how to add it via custom css. But I get your point.

Also, i totally forgot about a code block element that @weedor mentioned. It would be very useful.

Somewhere, it is necessary to talk about the perenity of Cwicly.
It is clear that other builders have thousand of users and can look at the future with serenity.
But what about Cwicly that is still young? Is it weak? Will it be still present in one or two years?
Coming from Oxygen or Bricks, does Cwicly worth to spend a lot of time to learn new system?
My chose is clear: it worth!
I like it. The team and the support are great, always available! The possibilities are infinite!
So, I awol Bricks to CWicly with no regret and no back!

Agreed, but I’m actually talking about basic stuff.

These things are already there, you just can’t enter custom values/units.
I mean, I appreciate it is a part of Cwicly (already), but at the same time, why restricting it?
Not talking about really exotic stuff, e.g. the clip-path option was featured in some of their tutorials on Youtube.
Also, we are not talking about “page builder options” which are nice to have, we need a solid and complete interface to insert CSS properties and values.

:100:

Watching Qwicly like a hawk. Here are the things missing for me (agency owner):

1. Custom design library run on a separate WP installation, accessible by an API key. Oxygen nailed this.

2. Restricted mode, where users can only change things I allow them to change. This is espeically useful for VAs when they’re building out lots of pages.

3. Custom code blocks.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, @jUrkY3fO.

Your points are one of the most voted and mentioned ones I believe.
Especially for professionals and agencies all these features are crucial as it seems.

While I agree with you in terms of the technical aspects of Oxygen’s implementation, hopefully Cwicly will find a better solution how you insert your blocks/templates inside the builder. Maybe the worst experience I ever faced when it comes to importing designs.

1. Code block for PHP, JS, CSS
  2. Add an option in “Show/Hide Conditions > Condition” for a custom condition that could be written in a snippet.

This should already be possible with the Shortcode condition :wink:

Super!
I din’t find it but that is very great because I was stuck!
Can you tell me where I can find some explaination about this option.

I would recommend reading the Shortcode API « WordPress Codex

Basically, create your shortcode with all the parameters and conditions you want:

function cwicly_shortcode_example(){
// Return true if the user is on a single page and it is a post
if ( is_single() && 'post' == get_post_type() ) {
   return true;
}
// Return false otherwise
	return false;
}
add_shortcode( 'cwiclyshort', 'cwicly_shortcode_example' );

Make sure to return true or false depending on your needs.

Use the shortcode’s name (cwiclyshort in the example, without brackets) in the Cwicly conditions.

3 Likes

Thank you so much!
Only 2 cases remaining but, again, it worth waiting.

For me, it is the unclear hand off to clients. I love all the possibilities and dabble around in my playground from time to time. The last two builds I did I was so close in using Cwicly, but ended up spinning Bricks Builder up… because it keeps the default Gutenberg editor clean that I hand off to the client to write posts and add content. Maybe I have overlooked something, but as far as i can tell that whole side of Cwicly (client workflow, handoff and lockdown) is still not complete, correct?

@MaxZieb There aren’t any special handoff/lockdown on Cwicly’s side, but there is a lockdown feature introduces with WP 6.0. (which works at the block level)

For clean Gutenberg after handoff, you can just remove the cwicly blocks from appearing in the block list (from Preference settings menu)

I can’t find a RichText block. I am looking to use span tags. No search is pulling it up.

Hi @jtk,

You can find out more about the span tag here: Span Format in WordPress Gutenberg - YouTube

For my social intranet project I am still missing the following features natively integrated in Cwicly:

• Facet filtering via Ajax of posts, CPTs and WordPress users (is already in development).

• Table of contents (is at least already in the roadmap)

• Frontend publishing/editing of posts, CPTs and WordPress users (a Forms block is already in development)

In general, I will wait a bit longer until Cwicly has a certain product maturity to be usable for really sophisticated WordPress projects.

What gives me a bit of a stomach ache beyond that:

How will ACF develop after another change of ownership? I would gladly do without ACF completely and switch completely to Metabox.

The whole FSE development of WordPress seems to be still very immature and there are also from my point of view many UX/UI Problems to solve in the WordPress core. Here, however, the UI/UX approach of the Cwicly team makes hope for better times.

If the top three features should be available natively in Cwicly, I will definitely start first tests with Cwicly in the context of my intranet project, because I hope to be able to implement a lean blueprint (with very few additional plugins) with Cwicly.

Greetings from Germany

Manuel

1 Like

1+ for nested repeater

1 Like