What is frontend rendering exactly?

Frontend Rendering: Upon searching within this forum, numerous topics emerge with questions regarding specific functionalities and frontend rendering. Regrettably, I have been unable to locate any related topic or documentation on the Cwicly.com website addressing the intricacies of frontend rendering. Therefore, I would like to know more about this. When it’s better to have this ‘ON’ of ‘OFF’ What are the cons and pro’s in most common situations etc. Maybe this becoming the Frontend Rendering topic for your reference. :wink:

Cwicly states:

“Frontend rendering allows the query’s elements to be loaded and processed on the frontend instead of on the server.”

Hi @webmaat,

To answer your question, frontend rendering refers to the process of rendering content on the client side rather than the server side.

In the context of Cwicly, frontend rendering is particularly beneficial when it comes to modifying queries on the frontend, especially when users interact with and modify queries using filters.

When filters are applied on the frontend, the filtering process occurs directly on the user’s device.
This results in a smoother and more responsive user experience since there is no need for frequent server interactions during the filtering process.

By using client-side filters, you effectively reduce server load and enhance overall performance.

In the case of Cwicly, frontend rendering makes sense when users are interacting with filters and modifying queries.

So to sum up:

• Filters → Frontend Rendering ON
  • No filters → Frontend Rendering OFF

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions.

2 Likes

Maybe the naming “Frontend rendering” is a bit misleading. “Clientside rendering” might be clearer. Because “frontend” and “backend” can be used for different things (WordPress backend == Dashboard, Server side == Application back end).