Taxonomy buttons to filter de query loop

By using CPT and ACF I created a gallery of the images in Custom Posts.
The customposts have a taxonomy called Categorie.

I would love to create buttons to filter the gallery to show only the images which have the selected (1 or more) categories. Other images should disappear.

I tried the filter block and the Taxonomy Terms. But I don’t get it to work.

Captured in 1 image, I want this:

How can I make that possible?

Hi @Lijn-B,

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing trouble with this.

If you haven’t already, I would encourage you to check out our Create a filter step-by-step guide, which should help you with the whole filter setup.

Additionationally, this video should be helpful.

If you’re still having trouble after viewing these resources, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Hi @Araminta,

Thanks for your reply.
I followed the tutorial and it works in back-end. But in frontend I don’t see the buttons to filter.
So I watched the video and noticed that frontend rendering was toggled on (didn’t find that in the tutorial).

But as soon this is toggled on, the buttons are visible, but the posts are gone.

Frontend views:
toggled off:

Toggled on:

Any idea where to find it?
The only differenc is that I’m using CPT with ACF.

Hi @Lijn-B,

Perhaps you are having this issue?

Hi @StrangeTech,
It’s not exact the same. I’m suffering problems with taxonomies using in a filter block.
It can be the same, but I don’t know.

And with my medium level of experience it can be a user problem too.

Effectively it is very similar because the referenced issue only occurs with front-end rendering (we were also using filters).

And it happens when displaying custom Taxonomy ACF fields:

Thank you @StrangeTech
Can I change this topic from General to Bugs?

Sorry to hear you’re still experiencing trouble with this, @Lijn-B.

Please note that filtering will only work with a frontend rendering query.

This could be due to an incorrect setup.

Could you possibly provide a temporary access to this installation, so I may see what’s going wrong?
If this is possible, for security and privacy reasons, kindly send the details using our paste website, by sharing the link generated: to or by PM.

Thank you in advance.

I send an email with the login credentials

Thank you for providing temporary access, @Lijn-B!

The reason your filter wasn’t functioning correctly was due to the omission of specifying the field in your Taxonomy Query.
I have adjusted it to use the slug, and now your filters operate as intended on the frontend.

I realise that this error might have arisen because our Create a filter guide missed this step.
Rest assured, this error has been noted and will be fixed as soon as possible.

As for the post’s images disappearing with frontend rendering on, this was caused by your having the ‘Require ACF API REST’ setting enabled, but not enabling ‘Show in REST API’ for that specific field group.
I have enabled it for you, and now the background images appear as expected on the frontend.

Please let me know if this is the case on your end.

If you were not aware, to view ACF Groups with Frontend Rendering, the API REST must be enabled.

To do this, you can either enable the “Show in REST API” setting for the desired ACF Groups or turn off the “Require ACF API REST” option in Cwicly Settings → Advanced Settings.

Be sure to read more about it at ACF | WP REST API Integration.


Thank you for this very useful tip @Araminta, it may explain some of what we were observing.

1 Like

Thanks @Araminta,
So it was a problem at the chair end not in the software! :wink:
Thanks for helping me out. I’m gonna write this down for the next one.