Navigator Experience

I have observed the following:

First Bug: Empty list

1. Click on “Open all” in the docked state.
  2. Click on the “Undock” condition.
    To show all: click “Close all”.
    It seems to work then.

BUT afterwards there is a
second bug:

1. Click on “Dock left” or “Dock right”.
  2. Click on “Open all” or “Close all” => it no longer works.

PS: I also find the visual view better now. However, I wonder how often you need the “Eye” icon or the “Delete” icon. Especially this repetitive view of the two icons in a narrow navigator list I still find a bit jarring.
screenshot-navigator-list

Suggestion: Basically, highlight the hovered entry a bit (i.e. with a blue border) and then show the two (or only one) of these icons. Deleting, for example, is also possible with the keyboard and by right-clicking, but of course these are personal preferences.

What I noticed rather negatively is that you have to aim very precisely to select a list element. As soon as you click in the name area, the element is not selected, but you can change the name.
Suggestion: Use this area for selection as well and only allow renaming when double-clicking or right-clicking.

1 Like

Thanks everyone and sorry for the little issues, a merge didn’t happen unfortunately, but will be included in the next update which should fix them.

@Jugibur,

Thanks for the suggestions.
Indeed, looking at how narrow your navigator is and the general feedback we’ve received on our support, the visibility and remove actions will be removed and accessible in the context menu.

I’m not sure why your block icons aren’t aligning, since this is how it’s supposed to be:

We did try Double clicking/clicking to edit the block name but it didn’t end up being a consistent experience, and would eventually lead to more distress than anything!

@Louis Visibility and remove icon can be also be shown on hover like Bricks.

3 Likes

And also show an indicator when there has a custom CSS code for that element.

Suddenly something came across my mind about the custom CSS.
As I noticed now, the custom CSS was inserted into a block by selecting a global class, but it didn’t stick to the global class.

In Bricks, when we insert a custom CSS into an element by selecting a global class, the custom CSS sticks to the global class. That being said, when I use the same global class for another block, I will see the custom CSS inserted and able to edit the custom CSS wherever I can when I select the global class.

Not sure if I explained it well.

New experience is awesome @Louis.
The Navigator has become really flexible and seems like I can use it in an efficient way now when it’s undocked.

Moving the icons to the context menu, I’m not sure about it.
They could both be available there, yes. But I think the users should be able to decide for themselves. So an option is rather what I would like to see here instead.

I have one small issue and maybe a small code snippet is sufficient here instead of an option which might not make much sense.
I would like to control the gap between the Navigator items. Seems like they stagger at 36px now. Is there any chance to de- or increase this value?

1 Like

The issues described further up should be fixed in 1.2.7.2.
Please let us know if you still have trouble with collapsing or docking.

Thanks once again to everyone for sharing your ideas and remarks!

1 Like

Thanks @Louis
The navigator seems to be working as expected now.

1 Like
  • When loading / refreshing a page in the editor, the first block in the Navigator is skipped, so it actually starts with the 2nd block which is placed on the very top.
    It requires to scroll to top then. That happens as soon as there are enough blocks available to fill the entire height of the Navigator and only when docked.
    Anyone else experiencing that?
    Edit: Created a separate bug report for it.

• Is there a specific reason why the Navigator always loads with all blocks expanded?
    It’s very minor and I think it doesn’t require any attention, I’m just curious - as well as how other users do think about it.

Hey @Marius
Yes! I noticed the same.

Thanks for confirming @jornes :+1:

Since the navigator is a virtual list it makes modifying its height more complex for users, but we can definitely think about a small snippet that would allow a custom value instead :+1:

It would be nice if the Navigator layout persisted when docked / undocked or moved from left to right etc. I find it a bit jarring when I have, say, one section open in undocked mode, but if I dock the Navigator it expands all blocks. Not a big deal, but it would feel more consistent.

1 Like

When the Navigator is undocked, it is spawning copies of itself (appears to be limited to 5 stacked on top of each other). Please refer to screenshot:

Good point :+1:

I’ve seen you mentioned that earlier yet, but couldn’t find a scenario how to reproduce this.
Are there specific steps required? Which browser / OS do you use?

Thanks @Louis, that would be highly appreciated.

As soon as JS comes into play, it gets quite complicated to achieve a desired tweak.
The only areas I got stuck was the horizontal/vertical item spacing and the labels for IT/LW/CD/RS, which seems to be generated dynamically without specific classes to target them individually.

Just as an additional idea (GB List View inspired), a visual indicator, like a slightly different background color, for all child blocks of the selected Navigator item.
Not sure if this would be a complex task to add or users would request/need it.

I want to add that with the new Navigator design, this is not necessarily needed at all, since a pretty decent (and in my opinion totally sufficient) hierarchy indication is already available.

What do you guys think?

1 Like

Hello @Gary,

Thanks for noticing this one.
It would happen in the Site Editor when switching between templates.
This should be fixed in 1.2.8.
If you still experience this, I’d be grateful if you could let me know by replying to this thread.

Cheers,

@Marius as mentioned by @Louis (below) it was only happening when switching between templates, and I can confirm as of the 1.2.8 release, it is now fixed.

I think it is a nice subtle contrast in the GB List View. As you said, not necessarily needed, but I do like the way it simply highlights the children of the selected parent block.

1 Like

Where do I find the option to name the blocks in the navigator?
f.e.: I always name the sections to really have a clear understanding which block is what.

thanks

lol! Didn’t see. thanks Marius.

1 Like