How to create reusable thing with two places where blocks go

I have a 2x1 grid with rounded corners and borders that I want to be able to reuse throughout the site, and I can’t seem to do it at all. I tried several things, and am hoping someone knows how to do it. What I tried:

1. Components with two innerBlocks. Although they looked perfect, and I could actually insert two innerBlocks items (one for each cell), it failed when inserting. I couldn’t modify both grid cells independently.
  2. Components with one inner blocks, and the two child divs as the child of the innerblocks. This when inserted deleted both divs, rendering this sad.
  3. Components with no inner blocks. The idea here was to just insert and then break apart each item after insertion. I lose the ability to mass-format them after the fact, but maybe that was just life. Unfortunately, when I break the component nature of the inserted component, so I can edit it independently, all formatting goes out the window.
  4. Cloud library. When I tried this, it looked pretty in the cloud library. But when I inserted it, the second copy on any given page fails, with weird styling. Also there is this odd stylist object that gets inserted, that baffles me. I tried it both with attach global styles enabled and disabled, and in both cases it caused problems. One interesting symptom is that my global style (that does the CSS for the rounded corners, borders, etc, is replaced with .removed, even though it’s the same site as the cloud item was installed from.
  5. fragments from the themer menu – these are just inserted as they are with weird formatting, and no ability to modify the results. Unless I’m doing it wrong, which seems all but certain.
  6. Templates. Apparently, the templates say how the whole page is to be laid out, and nothing else.
  7. Reusable block patterns from Wordpress. This worked, and showed up in the completion menu, which was definitely nice, but then you have to “detach” it if you want to add content in the two boxes, and again, it denies the ability to adjust the formatting of all the inserted grids after the fact. UPDATE: unsynced reusable blocks apparently cannot be inserted from a cwicly paragraph, even through one can be inserted from the wordpress paragraph block via /reusablepatternname.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks,

Henry