Cwicly plus Generatepress?

What are the pros and cons of using Cwicly with Generatepress ?

Will I be able to use all the awesome blocks with all features of the individual blocks or are there limitations when using Generatepress or any other third-party theme ?

What will I be missing if it is possible at all ? And is it deigned to be able to work with third party themes such as Generatepress ?

1 Like

You should be able to use the Cwicly blocks in the Gutenberg content editor when creating posts and pages. You should also have access to ACF Pro from the Cwicly plugin.

A big feature of Cwicly is the ability to create theme templates using the Full Site Editor. Since GeneratePress is not a block-based theme, that option won’t show. Also, there may not be coordination between your GeneratePress Customizer settings and Cwicly styles (I’m not sure how that will work). Note, there is a setting in the Cwicly advanced settings area to disable some Cwicly style related to Flex should there be a conflict.

4 Likes

Thank you, @David -

I did not get a notification about your response. Honestly, not much activity here. Maybe it is spread too thin with the facebook group there also. So it was somewhat deliberately forgotten.

But thank you for your response. I have now tried two times to use Cwicly. Bought and got a refund without any problems. A bit embarassing on my part that I did that. Cwicly intrigues me. But I am so frustrated with the UX. It has so many problems for me.

Generateblocks beta 1.6 will add FSE …and so we have another “two many cooks-situation”.

This whole situation with trying to make wordpress more than it is really is somewhat ridiculous. It is and was a blog. No ecommerce, no hosting, no security, no backup, no role editor, no real templating system, it has been that way for years. Just a simple piece of really simple software.

Here is a list of things that I probably could have investigated further. But I just dropped it. It does not work as of now.

1. When installing

The naming of the files we download should specify which is the plugin and which is the themer.

1. When adding Ricardo navigation

screen should not show the mobile menu by default and the add-box with the ±sign to add a new block should be adjusted to give overview and not overlap visually the mobile menu, which should not be there in the first place, but preferrably show in the editor, when I click on the hamburger/menu-icon that opens the mobile menu - or if that can not be done it should activate when previewing/eidting in the mobile view.

1. The option to “Hide Cwicly Modals”

should probably be enabled by default to show only in mobile view and/or tablet - that is only shown when actually editing the template part.

Or maybe it should be a part of the editor, so when I edit the modal in desktop view inside the editor

1. When editing index-tamplate and I hover over the footer or header template part

I should be actually editing the template-part I click on - currently when clicking on footer and when editing the index-template and in the editor when I click on the plus-sign in the footer-part and import a template part it just adds to the main-part of index-template.

1. When importing a theme

there sould be a button to import all template parts or even better - a button to import the entire theme in one go and also the option to click checkboxes on the parts I want to import.

1. When adding content …

A specific tab for content would be better in stead of the actual content being prioritized way down in the editor - options should have the content first - that is, the images, the block content or whatever…

Images in the importer should be looked through as they are not streamlined. When installing Ricardo header the url is not correct …

1. When importing premade designs

the navigation should be named header so consistency is maintained, and I know that I am importing a header into the header part of the template.

1. When clicking on add default template

there is one unnecessary step - the button “add default tempate” should include a drop-down-menu that gives you the option to select which template-part I want to add - just as the set of options I get, when I now ckick on “add default template” and is redirected to a page, that then gives me the options I could have in the first place.

1. When clicking on the list view

the first time it should be placed in the same position as the the default Gutenberg list view and - as it is now - it should still remember my option, if I move it to the right or change to dock-mode.

1. When installing the themer

there really should be a beatifu standard set of options in stead of the raw barebones-no-design theme I get after installation of the themer.

1. When importing navigation from the Design Library

It should be ready to use - I should as an example not have to link the menu by referencing the ID and linking it to the menu that comes with the imported navigation element.

But I give up. Bricks builder is probably the only real game in town. Or editorx by Wix.

2 Likes

Some good points there. Thank you for sharing them.

1 Like

No intent to fan any flames, but genuine interest:

Have any of the issues raised by @JacobDK been addressed?
Integration with GP >v1.6?
@Louis , others?

It seems like most of the items mentioned weren’t really related to GeneratePress. Some of the rough edges were due to Gutenberg limitations which I think might be addressed in WP 6.2. Some of the rough edges were Cwicly related. Note that the Cwicly design library has been totally redone and is much improved. I think “themes” or full template kits type of thing is in the works. Very much improved and it is looking that it will continue in that positive direction.

GeneratePress is not really a block theme, so using Cwicly with it is more about using the blocks in the Gutenberg editor and I don’t know of any issues with that. That is certainly something you can do, but for the full Cwicly feature set you’d use the Cwicly theme, or a block theme anyway.

You can use whatever theme you want, but as @David said, for the full awesome featureset you would need (to wait) to use the standard theme, that Cwicly at some point will make.

I do not understand why they have not prioritized that higher though, when the product is actually on the market. A lot of people are put off, mysef included, by not having a standard theme like GP.

But it is just early days. Like most other pagebuilders I guess. And one day only has 24 hours. And that is probably what it comes down to.

@JacobDK

The Cwicly theme, which has been available from the start, is a sort of barebones placeholder theme. It is something like Hello Elementor is for Elementor. The idea is you are going to use the Cwicly Themer to make your templates.

I think there may be a plan to allow you to import template sets via the design library. Is that what you’re referring to? I haven’t heard of any plans to make a standard type of theme, but maybe I missed it. At one time there was talk of a free version for WP org …

@David

I was referring primarily to the templates initially available, that Araminta and the team are now converting to the format of the Design Library - and more generally the wireframes category and other categories in the Design Library. But also from reading the forum here and talking on the Discord Server, I understand that they want to make something more out of the box ready to fly - so we do not have to start with something like the Hello theme. I do certainly get the point of an empty theme like the themer is currently. And that is a good option.

Basically I think the team is hoping for someone else from the community or more commercially oriented entrpreneurs to take on something like wireframing and making themes - so Louis and the rest of the team can focus on stuff that is more important at the moment.

But it is also just this thing … that when I import some header from the Design Library I then have to dig deep and find the setting for the menu, set the menu and if the menu has something funky or the query template needs adjustment it is not obvious or intuitive how to change it - so they have bascially done it - but in a somewhat … not-so-intuitive way. It is also still annying to me how settings are overlapping each other in the editor - so I can change the same stting under a different tab it seems … I have not even double-checked that. It is stuff like this that makes people just leave it after looking at the backend of things in Cwicly.

But also I would like to see for every block some basic use-cse implementations of the query/filter-block - like a car-dealer showcasing his cars with filters like the facetwp-demo with cars. All the cool things Cwicly can do in its own way has to be opened up and shown in the way of best-practice.

Anyways … 24 hours per day for me and you. And also the team at Cwicly. Although Louis seems to be somewhat different with the level of activity :slight_smile:

Crocoblock has different templates. New mobile phones have a flagship model demonstrating the best model they can produce. Also - designers can mess it all up - if could be in their interest to set a standard around the use of Cwicly. Wordpress has their 2020, 2021, 2022 themes they make for every year. That could be 2024 - The Cwicly Way or some take on that.

Understood. Thanks for explaining what you were thinking.