Cwicly Font Manager bug - Downloaded Open Sans font different from the one hosted by Google

I am running into a strange behaviour where the Open-Sans Google font, self hosted is looking squished vs remotely (google servers).

https://i.imgur.com/xu4ZKkK.gif

This happens no matter where I choose to set the font: globally, element etc. No other font settings are touched. Just loading the font: locally vs remotely.

Wordpress 6.4.2
Cwicly 1.3.4.5

I checked the Open Sans font family located at /wp-content/uploads/cwicly/local-fonts/google/Open Sans/ and it seems that Cwicly font manager downloaded the “condensed” version of the font, for all variations which is totally different than the font loaded directly from Google.

It might be a bug and may affect some other downloaded Google fonts using Cwicly font manager.

Hi @konkhra,

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing trouble with this.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to reproduce this issue on my end.

To investigate further, I have set up a demo instance.
Please log in with this.

Feel free to modify anything to see if the error is reproducible.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reply!

I have reproduced the issue on the platform you provided!

I’ve noticed the Open Sans font was already installed locally through the Font Manager! ( Don’t know if it matters or not in our case)

1. I created a simple menu and I selected and deselected between Open Sans (local font) and Open Sans (remote font) for the text in the menu.

2. I let selected the Open Sans local font.

3. I went to Font manager and deleted the Open Sans local font. You’ll be noticed about an error. (ignore it). Go to Wordpress Dashboard and come back to Cwicly editor.

4. Go to Font Manager and download again the Open Sans font.

5. Select the downloaded Open Sans font and play with selection between local Open Sans font and Google Open Sans font.

6. You should notice a different local font although it should be the same font family.

Advice to reproduce:

Play a bit with Open Sans font.

Download it … use it on a text … choose the Google open Sans font … select again local open sans font … delete the downloaded open sans font … download again the open sans font … select again between the downloaded font and the google open sans font. It could be possible that this behaviour should arise on other fonts.

I haven’t tested on other Google fonts.

Thank you for the detailed reproduction steps, @konkhra!

I did notice that the font seemed distorted when logging onto the demo, however I am still unable to reproduce the issue on my end.

Here is a short video demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKTpT_04Sog

It seems the issue might be coming from your end.

Rest assured, I have transferred this to our dev team who will investigate further into this.

Thank you for your understanding.

I went further with the investigation on this situation and checked the requests with Developer tools.

On my staging website where the local font is not showed correctly I see the request for Open Sans-400-normal.woff2 On the platform you provided when the local font is loaded correctly it is made a request for Open Sans-300 800-normal.woff2. My local Open Sans font family is “Condensed” version of the font according to https://products.aspose.app/font/viewer/woff2

This is the link with the archive containing the Open Sans font family downloaded by Cwicly Font Manager on my staging website.

https://transfer.sh/xlxeJPM39y/open-sans.tar.gz

P.S. I reproduced again the situation on the demo link you provided.

What I’ve done:

1. In Cwicly’s Global font settings I choose local Open Sans font. (DO NOT press the blue dot to disable the font)

2. I went to Font Manager and I deleted the Open Sans font WITHOUT pressing the green dot on top left corner. ( Until the Youtube video posted by you I didn’t knew the green and red dots where buttons. Didn’t bothered about them)

3. After 2’nd step an error will be throwed. Ignore it. Go to Wordpress dashboard.

4. Come back to Global font settings-> Font manager and download Open Sans font.

5. Select local Open Sans font…select google open sans font…select again the local Open Sans font.

6. The font behaviour should be noticed.