Cannot edit custom templates

Custom templates can be added but not edited.
If I view the relevant template from the Cwicly template admin screen, I get the error shown in the attached image, and if I view the relevant template from the WordPress default template admin screen, I can edit it, but not save it.

Environment info

• WordPress version: 5.9.3
  • Gutenberg Plugin version: -
  • Cwicly Plugin version: 1.1.2.1
  • Cwicly Theme version: 1.0.3

Hello @Takeru,

Thanks for the report and apologies for the trouble.
This is once again an issue we have not encountered yet.

Could you possibly open the browser console when you receive the “Saving failed” message and let me know if there are any visible errors logged?

Also, could you possibly let me know what name you provided for the custom template?
Thanks.

The following error message is displayed.

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)

The custom template is named in Japanese.

Thanks.
Could you possibly try adding a template with an English name and see if that causes a problem on your side also?
Or specifically the Japanese named templates?

In English, it can be saved and edited.

It seems that templates with Japanese names cannot be edited or deleted.

In the template with Japanese names, the menu items are garbled.

In addition, the “index” templates have been duplicated more and more on their own, and there are now five of them.:sweat_smile:

When I change the WordPress language to English and then try to delete a template from the default WordPress template management screen, I get the message in the attached image.

This is unusual indeed, but certainly related to the special characters.
Please bear with me while I look into this.
Thanks.

Hi @Takeru,

Thanks for your patience.
We will sadly not be able to retrieve the templates you created prior to our latest update.
This is because when saving the custom template, WordPress automatically converts the slug characters which in turn causes the error…
You should now be able to save the custom template then edit/delete without any trouble.

The multiple index template might be related to the custom template issue or not… but it’s certainly is a language problem.

Thanks for checking it out right away!
New custom templates that are created can indeed be edited/saved.
However, I am still unable to delete custom templates that I have created in the past.
Is there any way to delete these?

Hi there @Takeru,

Sadly, I don’t think this is going to be possible from our side since we can’t target the templates that might or might not be valid ones.

The only current solution is to go into your database and query the post type wp_template. From there, you will be able to delete it.

I’m sorry for the trouble this caused, but WordPress changing the slug was not something we have experienced up until your issue.

1 Like

I went into the database and erased it.:+1:
@Louis Thanks!

1 Like