Time to retire linked blocks feature?

Hi all,

I’ve been playing recently with linked blocks, and I have to agree with @sunny first messages about maintenability (copy-pasting across pages, deleting master, etc.), team working, hand-off, etc. This can become very confusing and not intuitive.

I insist again on the local aspect of the “linked-type” virtual classes, like @sunny mentionned, and if the whole class system was a bit clearer about that, I think this would avoid some confusion.

See Class system thoughts and How to attach virtual (previously additional) classes to blocks? - #21 by Marius.

I also faced @smontreuil issues a lot, and it made me lose a lot of time reseting all styling after having duplicated some huge structure instead of copy-paste, or trying to paste in vain.

I actually really can’t figure out why duplicating doesn’t behave like copy-pasting… What am I missing?

In the end, I see the power in linked blocks and virtual classes, and I love using them now (@Marius told me I would get used to them :wink:), but I think for most users their potential is hidden behind a counterintuitive UI and vocabulary. I can imagine, well, in a very limited extent, that FSE and WP/Gutenberg constraints give you some hard time implementing Cwicly, but just a bit more attention on this would be a game changer and would really make Cwicly shine even more way above the competition.

2 Likes