The big UI/UX topic

Wow, thanks @T-low for the feedback, really appreciated. This makes us feel like we’re going the right way!

Definitely something to keep an eye on. The choice was between legibility and “faster” access to properties (which I don’t find the panels gave us because of the continuous height changes in the advanced panel).

As usual, we do listen to the community so if there’s something that needs adjusting, we’ll be there.

This! Opens quite a realm of possibilities :smiley:

1 Like

I haven’t worked yet in a sustained way with the new interface (to get a real feel), but I still think it has too many subcategories.

For example for Layouts, the Display, Visual and Positioning settings could easily fit under one. Same for the Backgrounds and some others. To many clicks to find something makes me dizzy :).

1 Like

The new code block modal option is awesome.
Custom code has become a real option in Cwicly.
It went from “useless”, at least for me, to a smooth and intuitive experience and with all the stuff which gets recently added, it’s becoming more and more an all-in-one kit.

Will this also be available in the custom CSS block options?
Also, is the modal really draggable? Is there a dedicated area where I need to grab it?

Update regarding draggable code block modal. It’s working, probably a browser extension conflict.
Will investigate and update.

1 Like

Hi @Marius,

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.
The modal option will be added to the Custom CSS block options, as well as slowly moving towards using it in most modal cases so that one isn’t contrived when having to open one up.

Interesting, haven’t come across any issues on our side, but would appreciate if you find something.

1 Like

A browser hard refresh did it.
Sorry for the confusion :+1:

1 Like

With the 1.1.8.5.2 Update, I really like the min-height fix.

I was not really aware until it changed, but it feels waaay nicer than before. Especially when I create smaller blocks in a template part.

2 Likes

Would love to see this on the icon picker.

Hi there @owynter et @all,

We’ve taken into account your feedback about the navigator and have pushed a new revision of its UI in 1.1.8.5.5.
Would love to know your thoughts about it.

Cheers,

2 Likes

It’s really nice now, Louis. Lots more real estate and easy to move around.

Will continue to play around with it and send feedback.

For anyone who is curious, here is a direct comparison with the exact same dimensions (old/new):

First impression

Not sure if this is it.
For me, it’s more confusing and it “only” gives me 4 more blocks on a 1440p screen.
Horizontal space saving is a big plus.
It is (more than) one step forward, but it needs fine tuning imo.
Need to get used to it, maybe I am able to make some suggestions then.

Note
UI issue on W11 with floating scrollbar. It’s overlaying the “remove block” icon.

#Update
So i played a bit with the color scheme and found out, for me it’s just the high contrast.
I also think that the “black” background var(--cc-inspector-background) is too aggressive in general.
It was mentioned a couple of times before and I think it’s an important part inside the editor: Changing colors of editor panels, elements, etc.
Is this something we can expect at some time?

Just as a small example. This is far more better, for me. Other people will have different opinions, and this is the reason, a color scheme manager/designer would be a good idea.

4 Likes

Visibility Toggle for Navigator

Would it make sense to implement the visual indication inside the Navigator for a hidden element plus all of its children and remove the visibility toggle from all of them?

Hi @Marius,

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions on this.

The contrast issue is definitely something where a colour manager has to come into play since our initial background colour was much less dark, but we received quite a few comments at the time about it not being contrasty enough.

Interesting, will make sure to get my hands on this. Thanks.

Good question… We did look at several possibilities when working through this, but finally decided on only signifying which element had been toggled off.
I see by the thumbs up that this is something people would like to see.
Maybe a different indication for children affected by parent visibility.

1 Like

Hey @Louis, thanks a lot for your answer.

I can confirm that the contrast was lacking for me as well, but at the end it all comes down to personal preference so it’s good to hear something like a color manager is at least considered.

Regarding the new UI of the Navigator, it’s great.
After getting used to it a bit, I definitely can say these changes were needed.
Thanks @owynter as well for bringing this up.
Especially the horizontal space savings will help a lot.

What I would like to see, as now everything is more compact, a visual indication for all children of the selected block (maybe also when hovering the blocks?).
Just an example to make it more clear what I mean, not sure what would be the best way to go:

5 Likes

What I would like to see, as now everything is more compact, a visual indication for all children of the selected block (maybe also when hovering the blocks?).

That would be a nice touch. Although I wonder if it would get very noisy, visually, with lots of colours?

1 Like

Looks great but should the nav modal be draggable when docked?

1 Like

Good point @vinhost. Thanks for bringing it up.

I think this kind of implementation is superb, thanks for the suggestions @Marius.

1 Like

I was a bit off.
For UI: is there now some way to increase the contrast or to set the colors (background, fonts, icons, etc.)

This has been mentioned several times in the thread:

V1.2 - Class section inside Primary/Design Tab

• When selecting a Global Class and there are existing Relative Styling rules, I would prefer to mute the Relative Styling rules, instead of removing them.
  • When clicking the Virtual Classes or Global Classes icon, I would prefer to make the class dropdown menu disappear with a 2nd click on the icon.
  • When a Global Class is selected, I would prefer to have a more significant visual indication. For instance, giving the class field a green border, or even the Tab List, so one is aware when navigating around, changes will be made to the global class, not the block class.
  • Something I noticed on the live stream already. Disabling Virtual Classes with “only” a line-through as indicator, not sure about it. Maybe lowering the opacity a bit would make it more clear? This also goes for the Relative Styling rules, the current solution is not sufficient. This could be more of an issue when using dark mode.
  • When selecting a Global Class, the font-weight turns into bold, this requires more space. In some cases, a following item can be pushed to the next line. So depending on which global class is selected or not selected, there is some class item party going on. This can lead to an inconsistent experience, similar to the 1st point in this list. Maybe using a brighter color shade instead?