Provide a way to use our own Normalizer

Hey, as I’m diving deeper in how Cwicly works, I am happy to see that we have full control over how Styles are handled, and the minimal impact Cwicly (and the Cwicly theme) have over base styles.

However, in the pursuit of creating a workflow where I have full control even over user agent styles, with an easy to modify custom-properties stylesheet, I came across the issue where I can’t dequeue the base.css or CCnorm normalizer stylesheet because it’s used as a dependency for many other stylesheets, and no filter to change that dependency or safely dequeue that particular stylesheet if I needed to.

What I’m purposing here is the addition of a filter hook in those 3 files where the CCnorm stylesheet is referenced as a dependecy, allowing us to change the that stylesheet to something else, or simply remove it entirely.

This wouldn’t affect backward compatibility and would allow us to control if and how we want that file to be enqueued or not.

Please considering adding filter hooks to stylesheet enqueueing so we can have full control over our css.

If you need any additional information, let me know.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hi @zeinnicholas,

Sounds like a nice suggestion, and quite useful if you want specific control of things.
Will add it to my to-do, although I can’t give a specific ETA.

I’m not sure that many stylesheets are dependant of CCnorm. You could try dequeuing it and replacing it with your own styles, but still naming it CCnorm?

1 Like

Hi @Louis!

Thanks for the response, and for considering my proposal! :pray:

For now that’s what I did, I de-queued and de-registered the stylesheet and enqueued one of my own with the same ID. It works, but it took me a while to be able to make it work due to how Gutenberg handles block_editor_assets. Kind of a janky solution.

But it would be nice to be able to control which stylesheets are used, and when if we’d like to use a clean filter without breaking everything else, or having to hack it away.

I don’t mind waiting though, I just though it would help us in some cases! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks

1 Like

Hello @zeinnicholas,

Thanks for this request.
With 1.2.9.4, you can now specify your own normaliser URL.
We’ve preferred filter the url itself instead of the enqueue function as a whole to make sure that dependencies aren’t lost in the process.

To find out more about the filter:

3 Likes

Hi @Louis, this is awesome! Thanks for this addition. I really appreciate it! :pray:

Cheers! :clinking_glasses:

1 Like