Order terms by parent in Filter Block

Description:

If I understood this correctly the option “Order By: Term Parent” means that terms are ordered like this:

Electronics (Parent)
-- Phone (Child)
-- Computer (Child)
Sports
-- Golf

Am I correct here? Because this does not happen with these settings:

Environment info

• WordPress version: latest
  • Gutenberg Plugin version: -
  • Cwicly Plugin version: latest
  • Cwicly Theme version: latest

The option “Childless” is activated because I tried every possible combination of settings to achieve the desired order of terms. I also tried this with this option turned off.

I don’t want insist on a quick response but when newer tickets get responses and are worked on while I don’t get any feedback I feel like there is something wrong.

For me it would be enough to get something like “We’ll look into this”. Then I know you took notice and get back as soon as this ticket gets to the top of the queue.

Hi @Jonas,

I understand your concern about not receiving feedback as quickly as you would like and apologise for our lack of reactivity.
Please know that we do our best to respond to all bug reports in a timely manner, and we appreciate your patience but some do take longer than others.

I’ll be looking into this and get back to you as soon as I have any update.

Hi @Araminta,

thanks for getting back!
I want to emphasize that I absolutely do not intend to be rude or demanding. It’s just what I said before. When I see that newer tickets are worked on while I don’t get a response I feel like my ticket gets pushed so far back by all the new ones that it might be overlooked. So at some point I have to ask for an update.

I really appreciate your hard work! I noticed you are active even on weekends so I really mean it!

Also my English is not the best so my messages might sound a bit more harsh then they are meant to be.

Thanks again :pray:

1 Like

Hello @Jonas,

Thanks for the report.

If I’m not mistaken, the orderbyparent parameter is working exactly how it should be.
That is, it is ordering the terms by the parent ID field.

This is based on the WP_Term_Query class: WP_Term_Query::__construct() | Method | WordPress Developer Resources

If there is anything you would like to add, @Jonas, please don’t hesitate.

Moving to General.

Hi @Louis,

thanks for the explanation.
It seems like you are correct. The child terms are ordered by the parent ID but unfortunately they are not below the parent. So in my eyes pretty useless.

I’m trying to achieve an order like it is in the backend:

But I only get this:

Is it possible to order the terms on the frontend the same way they are ordered in the backend?

Here is how WP Gridbuilder is doing it:

Hello @Jonas,

Thanks for the precision and details.

If I’m understanding correctly, you want the same tree data presentation that appears when using the Select filter type?
This is definitely something that should be include when using Dynamic → Taxonomy data.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Hi @Louis,

yes thats right. This would be the order I want the terms to be

Even more awesome would be a structure like this:

Bildschirmaufnahme 2023-02-25 um 16.54.00

I think this is peak UX in terms of filtering for nested category terms.

Hi @Araminta,

could you move this ticket to the Feature Requests?

Hi @Jonas,

Thank you for bringing this back up, feature request added!

1 Like