Default units settings are sometimes reverted to defaults

Description:

Saving default units works and the UI responds accordingly.

Unless we explicitly click on the remove button next to the saved defaults, we expect them to persist across sessions indefinitely.

After a period of time, we notice that the units settings revert to “unset”.

It is unclear exactly when this is happening or what causes it. It has happened irrespective of updates to Cwicly, so we don’t believe an update directly caused it.

Within the space of 3-4 days it has happened approximately 3–4 times.

Step-by-step reproduction instructions:

1. Open the Cwicly Global Styles > Settings tab
  2. Open the Default Units > Selectors modal
  3. Edit the units
  4. Wait for indeterminate amount of time

Environment info

• WordPress version: 6.1.1
  • Gutenberg Plugin version: -
  • Cwicly Plugin version: 1.2.9.5.2
  • Cwicly Theme version: 1.0.3

Hello @StrangeTech,

Thanks for the report.

I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with this.
Can I ask if this is for a single user or multiple ones?

We are using the core user preferences to save default units, so you will notice a difference if you have multiple users as they will all have their own specific settings.

Hello @Louis,

This is for the same user, which is the reason we felt it deserved to be reported.

We understand this does happen (as well as for other settings like the visibility of the inserter bar) when migrating a website to a different server and when different users access the same site, so we recognise that in those cases it is expected behaviour.

Hello @StrangeTech,

Thanks for confirming that.
It definitely does sound unusual, and I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

One last question: is this resetting all units for all properties?

Cheers,

@Louis, Yes, resetting all units for all properties - every one displays “unset”.

It is a minor inconvenience when it happens, so by no means a priority issue.

We will continue to monitor the settings for unwanted changes with a view to being able to provide more insight into what is triggering it if it happens again.

@Louis, this has not recurred for us for over a month working on multiple sites, so whatever the original cause, I think it can safely be marked as fixed.

1 Like

Hello @StrangeTech,

Appreciate you taking the time to update this thread.
Will move it to fixed but please don’t hesitate to leave a reply if you do experience any issue with the default unit settings.

Cheers,