Better dynamic support

I hope this was comprehensive enough. I think I am done with my feature requests for now. I’ll let you know if there is anything else. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Hi @Louis
I strongly agree with this feature request by @dranzer (I just opened a similar thread)

Multiple dynamic data tag support would make the entire site more dynamic.

Like how I did this in another builder.
This is just an example

It’s a heading element

This is a paragraph element

Here is the outcome when the dynamic data tag renders the actual data.

So, the entire paragraph will be more dynamic.

As I checked, I can only select a dynamic data tag and then insert text before and after the dynamic data, which is not cool.

Cwicly Dynamic Data option

As Cwicly works in Gutenberg editor, this feature is crucial.
Thank you for your consideration! :wink:

3 Likes

Hi @jornes,

Thanks for bringing this up :slight_smile:

Indeed, while the functionality is available, it hasn’t been transcribed in the interface as we want to include as part of the Rich Text styling options (just like our span tag). This will allow us to have more specific control on these dynamic tags and dynamically show users up-to-date content in the editor.

In the meantime, try pasting this in any content block, and it should do what you’re looking for:
This is the {title} that was written on {postdate=published=default} by {authorname}

Please bear with us while we get this specific feature sorted out properly.
And once again thank you for bringing it up, helps us pick up on what we might have missed in our planner.

To @dranzer, apologies for never replying. Not sure how I passed over this.
Thanks for taking the time to list all the details of your expectations!

4 Likes

Thank you for your response, @Louis
It’s glad to know that I can do with these dynamic tags. I will try this out.

About the dynamic data tags, I’m interested to know which page I can refer to for all of them, so I can use them for the time being until you implement this.

The only thing is that when I add a search function to my site, when the time I search, will I see these dynamic tags in the search results? Or would it show actual text instead?

Hi @Louis

I’d like to know, any site I can refer to see all the dynamic tags like this. I just tried the dynamic data you provided which is working as expected on the front end.

And, it would be great if you could make these dynamic tags render as actual data in the editor as well.

2 Likes

@jornes There is no documentation listing all tag list. If you want to know a specific tag for something then I can find it for you from the index.js file in the cwicly plugin folder.

4 Likes

Alright. Thank a lot! Bro.

Where is this file located?

Root of the plugin folder

I couldn’t find it at the root.
Instead, I found it here.

wp-content/plugins/cwicly/build

2 Likes

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone, much appreciated.

An ongoing implementation of the Dynamic Inserter is now available in 1.2.8.6 with documentation at Dynamic Inserter - Documentation
We’d love to have your feedback and see how you find using it works for you :slight_smile:

Cheers,

4 Likes

This is great! Thanks for adding @Louis.
I like the way it’s implemented, but that’s of course just a first impression.
Looking forward to test things more extensively.

One thing for now.
If no dynamic tag is selected yet, could the dropdown menu open automatically when clicking the dynamic inserter icon?

1 Like

I like all the features/updates Louis brought, especially this. This is a lifesaver.

2 Likes

Hi @Louis

I have a question.
For the dynamic tag, is it possible to make render the actual data instead of showing the dynamic tag instead?

If this is possible, I have some suggestions for this.

Look at the screenshot below.

As you can see that the dynamic tag is now shown as post_title. When we have more dynamic tags on the page, the page will be full of dynamic tags instead of actual data, making the FSE looking not nice.

When the dynamic tags are rendered as actual data, I know it’s difficult to see which blocks contain dynamic tags.

So, my suggestion would be,
Whenever a dynamic tag is used in headings, paragraphs or any other blocks, add an indicator to the block on the navigator, making dynamic tags easy to find.

What do you think?
Any feedback is welcome.

5 Likes

What @jornes said.

In case this is possible, it would be really nice to see the actual data inside the FSE.
Maybe even with a tooltip when hovering to see which dynamic tag it is.

Not sure about the Navigator icon, since there is already a good visual indication available on the canvas/item.
That depends on users workflow, I guess. But I assume many could welcome it, so here a thumbs up as well.

4 Likes

Brilliant idea, that would be marvellous!

I completely agree. I think this is the biggest gap for me when working with query loops and dynamic data/functions within the query template.

Aside from not being able to get a working example of a Query Filter :grimacing:

1 Like

Hi Dranzer, I agree with you 100%.
I also use ACF, JetEngine (from Ukraine) and Meta Box.

And recently, I bought a license from ACPT (acpt.io) as well.
The developer is doing fantastic work, but is still in the very beginning. That’s why I bought several stacks for a lifetime license at AppSumo.

I think we should support developers who have the courage to compete against large and established providers and put their heart and soul into such a project.

ACF is only leader now in my opinion because it is compatible with very much top plugin and theme makers. But the ACF (Pro)Plugin itself is outdated in my opinion. For example, it lacks important features like creating CPT, taxonomies, and the ability to store data in external custom tables. This is already standard with MetaBox and JetEngine.

1 Like

I am also in favour of dynamic data preview as long as it does not slow down the builder. Did notice some slow down in Bricks with the dynamic data preview in the past.

These will be available soon in ACF, too.

1 Like