Are we supposed to build all of our pages with cwicly themer?

Hello evereyone
There is something i’m not sure to understand: are we supposed to build all of our pages with cwicly themer ?

I mean, i want my page to be full width, and the only way i’ve found to do so is using the themer. If i build a page, using cwicly blocks, inside gutenberg page editor, my blocks are nested into sections and divs, and i have a margin all around my block:

If i build the same page using “default template”, i can have full width:

So… i just want to be sure i do it the right way:
1- i create a page
2 - i set the meta and all seo stuff
3 - i go to cwicly themer and create a default template for that page

am i right ?

Hello @pomilo,

You might want to check this out: Why is my page not full width on the frontend?

The way you describe is definitely possible, but I would recommend keeping your page content within the page item itself rather than creating a template for every page you create.

I usually go with creating a full width blank page with a Post Content block that I can then apply to any type of post type (post, page, or more specifically if necessary) from the Cwicly Themer (Themer - Documentation) conditions.

Hope that clears things up a little.

1 Like

thanks @Louis ! i didn’t find this topic when i searched… this is exactly what i was looking for

Hi Louis,

There’s one thing bothering me with this FSE thing, maybe you can help…

Most of the time in my sites, all posts/pages edited by clients contain only basic Gutenberg blocks, and everything is then wrapped inside some container defined in my templates.
So, clients don’t have to mess with sections, wrappers, etc.

The problem is that editor has no margins around content, which is OK for templates or fullwidth pages, but not for simple content where space is needed around to be confortable to edit.

But there are also pages with more specific/manual layout, with different templates, that clients which clients can change content only (text, images).

So what’s the best move here?

Is it to move the container to post/page content when needed, so that it is even more WYSIWYG and above all more confortable to edit?
But then all writers have to add manually add it to wrap their content (and manage specific width with UI or CSS class).

Or is it to use custom CSS on editor wrapper to add space around content on pages/posts types?
But then I guess full width Gutenberg blocks will not expand to edges.
And it can be tedious to target the right posts/pages if different layouts are used across site.

I’m trying to find some generic workflow here, but I feel that I’m always struggling and there must be an easier solution.

Don’t want to pre-empt anything, just pointing out to a previous discussion.

Maybe you can find some value there @yankiara.

@yankiara there is likely a somewhat bigger discussion than just about Cwicly, and really dives into philosophy around how much control we give our clients. I personally don’t allow them to even use basic Gute blocks. I restrict them to barebones TinyMCE via ACF to add/edit their website content. It’s a bit of work to set up, but has proven to be the most bulletproof approach.

That said, if you are asking about said TinyMCE editor (or classic editor as it’s called), my fix has been to add a small padding around the content via a script. I use Advanced Scripts to handle these instead of just dumping it into functions.php.

Again, I think there’s a discussion about philosophy and I’d love to learn how different people deal with client hand-offs where they are updating content.

@yankiara @owynter yeah i think this is more a problem about how to let clients handle the site content. I used to build websites with Oxygen before coming to cwicly, and i made small tutorials for clients, to explain them “how to” for several things : how to write a post, how to change an image, how to see the structure of the page. And explain them that this is not easy, that they could break everything, and that if they have a doubt / fear about something, they should call me instead of messing things up :wink:

1 Like

Ha ha, from Oxygen too (then Bricks), and that’s exactly what I say to clients :wink:
(Actually when opening O2 and trying to edit suff themselves, they understand very quickly!)

But at the same time, I don’t blame them when they want to edit everything on THEIR site, I think I could be this kind of client! Kind of control freak, I guess.

And above all, as Cwicly is way more usable and has a very granular role editor, I wish I could deliver sites to clients with bigger autonomy for content, so that I wouldn’t have to do too much content update in my maintenance contracts. So boring :rofl:

Thankfully, I don’t get too many clients who want to do everything (at least, not yet). I have the maintenance contracts in place, and I am not really super strict about how much time I spend. 90% of them never ask for a single change, and just pay the bill when the invoice comes. Because they know when they do call, I’m on top of it, which is something a few of them struggled with before with other agencies handling their sites.

I try to communicate that whatever they do need, just call or send me an email, and I can get it done. Some still want the freedom to change some words here and there, and they can do that with the freedom I allow. Now, redesigning a whole page? Nah, that’s above their pay grade :laughing: